Oxfordshire Preservation Trust Award 2010 Winner
Ivydene, 17 Iffley Road
This unlisted Victorian gothic detached house by architect G. T. Sessions dates from 1884. Its importance locally was demonstrated by the concerns raised when plans to demolish it came forward. Whilst the application for demolition was thankfully unsuccessful, it remained empty and boarded up for many years.
The new owner, Lucy Properties, has undertaken extensive renovations and repairs, creating a number of individual apartments. The exemplary work in restoring the front facade and replacing the traditional railings restores it to its former glory.
It is hoped that it will act as a much needed catalyst in the Iffley Road Conservation Area.
Owner: W Lucy and Co. Ltd
Architect: Riach Architects
Contractor: Cooper Construction Ltd