Cooper Construction in the Press
Saved from Bulldozers
By Gill Oliver, Oxford Times
A 19th-Century house that was boarded up and scheduled for demolition has won a coveted conservation award.
Ivydene, a detached Gothic building in Iffley Road, was designed in 1884 for a tailor who owned a shop in St Aldales. After being used as university lodgings and a hotel in the 1920s, it was converted into flats in the 1940s. But it later fell into disrepair and was under threat of being knocked down several times during the past decade.
Skyline Plaudits: 3 awards for Coopers
By Reg Little, Oxford Mail
Judged: Trust hands out awards for enhancing Oxford
A windmill and a school cricket pavilion were recognised for improving the local environment at the annual Oxford Preservation Trust awards.
A Victorian gothic detached house at 17 Iffley Road also received a conservation plaque. The property, Ivydene was earmarked for demolition, but after strong local protests, its new owners Lucy Properties undertook major renovation work, creating a number of apartments.
Christ Church Cathedral School
By Christopher Gray on an ambitious project by Christ Church Cathedral School. Oxford Times
Readers who have been in Brewer Street, Oxford, over the past few days have perhaps noticed that Christ Church Cathedral School is turning a bright new face upon the world. Handsome Victorian railings – which had been removed like so many others around the country to supply metal during the Second World War – have now been restored in front of the elegant school building.